Below is a daily devotional from Pastor Jon Courson.
MAY 11
… Called to be an apostle …
Romans 1:1
To this day, the Spirit continues to appoint apostles — missionaries who are ‘sent out’ with the message of the Gospel. ‘What a great calling that is,’ you say. But you know what? A call to be a drywaller, a science teacher, or a repairman is just as holy and just as important if you’re doing what God has opened up for you, and you’re doing it for Him. Whether you’re a baker, banker, mechanic, or cook yours is an important calling because of the need for brothers and sisters to serve in all kinds of arenas and locations.
Please don't think you’re missing it if you’re not a missionary. If the Lord wants you selling insurance or pouring cement, be at peace about it, saying, ‘Lord, if this is what You have for me, I’ll do it for Your glory. I’ll be salt and light, and I’ll do it as unto You.’
Herein is a problem, folks: There’s a tendency for us to think everyone should have our calling. If I’m called to be a missionary — everyone should be a missionary; if I’m called to be a teacher — everyone should be a teacher. Not true. That’s not the way it works in the Body of Christ. The Lord calls each of us uniquely, individually, personally.
How can you know what your calling is? Very simple: What’s flowing from your life presently? What comes easy to you? What’s working out supernaturally for you?
Isaac dug a well in order to water his flock. But the inhabitants of the land challenged his right to be there. So he called that well ‘Esech’ or ‘Contention’, moved down the road, dug another well, and struck water once more. A second time, the inhabitants came out and said, ‘This is our territory. Get out of here.’ So Jacob named the well ‘Sitna’, or ‘Hatred’, and went down the road a little further. He dug a third well, and this time no one bothered him — so he called the name of this well ‘Rehoboth’ or ‘There’s room for me’ (Genesis 26).
I have found life basically follows such a pattern: You dig and strike some water. There’s some refreshment and good things happen — but it becomes strife or hatred. So you go down the road and dig a second time, and again there are problems. Eventually, however, if you don’t give up, you’ll find your Reheboth.
Isaac had the job of watering sheep. He didn’t agonize over it. He didn’t complain about it. He just tended to what was at hand — and he ended up at Rehoboth. That’s the key. Do what’s before you. Say, ‘Lord, here I am. You’ve allowed me to do this and I’m going to do it as unto You. And if there’s strife or hatred, I’ll just move down the road and dig again until I find Reheboth.’
God has a Reheboth for every one of us. Don’t give up on seeking yours.
This Daily Devotional is an excerpt from the book "A Day's Journey" by Pastor Jon. "A Day's Journey" is a collection of 365 short meditations mined from the riches of the New Testament.


No comments:
Post a Comment