14 July 2007

Sicko


Today was a typical San Francisco summer day. We bundled up and decided to head out to a matinee. We saw Michael Moore's latest, "Sicko" at a bargain matinee of $8.50 per person. Worth every cent. We thought it was very well done. He addressed health care in America, or lack thereof. I had a big lump in my throat at various parts in the film. The stories of regular American folks were heartbreaking. There were serious medical situations that didn't receive the care necessary at the time, just plain inexcusable. This system is terribly flawed. Personally I have some 'emergency' coverage at this time that I can't really afford to use due to high deductibles and now I'm not certain I would be provided coverage if necessary. What a sad state for a lot of us, and scary!

He did show what was right with health care in other countries. People he interviewed weren't the least bit concerned about 1) being covered (because they have universal health care), 2) weren't the least bit concerned about paying (because they never or very minimally had to).

I think I'd seriously like to live abroad for a time. Not just because of that mind you, George and I have always wanted to travel as much as we can. But I think it relieves a fair amount of worries in countries where you know that your health care is available for you (free), and education is provided for as well. Sheesh. I think this country runs ass-backwards sometimes. We don't care for our people, we make college unaffordable (like I could never afford to go back now!), we prescribe drugs for every newly invented condition (hailing the almighty dollar), enough said. Well, that's why I vote even though it feels like it doesn't make a difference, someday it will. That's why I see films that are bold enough to address important and relevant issues. I'm tired of being lied to by our government, and it just makes you think. It doesn't take many people to create such large-scale problems (the health care decline began during Nixon's administration), but it will certainly take more than a few to repair these broken systems. Lord, help us.

Anyway... I recommend watching "Sicko". It's another well-done documentary. Unless you do not like Michael Moore's work of course. I happen to have respect for him. Who else is doing anything to get these stories heard on a grand scale?


No comments: