04 February 2008

Waitress

I rented the movie "Waitress" this past weekend. I thought it was pretty good. Jeremy Sisto did a great job as Jenna's (Keri Russell) controlling, miserable husband, easily unlikable. I particularly like the creative way she thought up new pies in her mind. Keri Russell was good, I like her back from the days of "Felicity". I also liked the character Dawn's (Adrienne Shelly) style, cute glasses with that dorky-stylish black frames look and her pretty red hair w/bangs. Speaking of bangs, I got spontaneous bangs cut earlier that same day! (Photo to follow.)

From IMDB:
Jenna is a small-town waitress at Joe's Diner, who has a great knack at making delicious pies there. However, Jenna is in an unhappy marriage to her controlling and immature husband, Earl, who always takes the money she works hard for, but Jenna keeps some of it hidden from him. Jenna suddenly finds her life has taken an unexpected turn when she discovers she's pregnant with Earl's baby. But the unhappy pregnancy changes Jenna's life as she becomes determined to win the $25,000 pie contest prize money and begins an affair with her handsome, married gynecologist that gives her confidence and an attempt at happiness. Written by r2k443

I really liked Adrienne Shelly who wrote, directed and starred in this film as another waitress, Dawn. She was only 40 and Russian Jewish decent like myself.
What disturbs me most is that she was killed (I think before the movie premiered). So very wrong and sad.

From Wikipedia:
At about 5:45 p.m on November 1, 2006, Shelly's husband found her hanging by a bedsheet[13] from a shower rod in the bathtub [11] of an Abingdon Square apartment in the West Village section of Manhattan's Greenwich Village, in what at first appeared to be a suicide.[13] Shelly, who lived in Tribeca,[11] used the apartment as an office.[11] Ostroy had dropped her off at 9:30 a.m. that day, and as the building's doorman told journalists, "He hadn't heard from her and he said it was odd not to hear from her, so he was nervous. And he asked me to go up to the apartment with him, so we went to the front door, and it was unlocked".[11]
An autopsy was performed the following day. The New York City Police Department was suspicious of sneaker prints in the bathtub that did not match Shelly's shoes (she was found wearing only socks). Shelly's husband also indicated that there was money missing from Shelly's wallet. He vigorously denied allegations that she could have committed suicide.[14]
Press reports on November 6, 2006 stated that police had arrested construction worker Diego Pillco, a 19-year-old illegal immigrant who confessed to killing Shelly after she complained about the noise he was making in the apartment below hers. Pillco said that he "was having a bad day."[15] Police said Pillco had made videos implicating himself in the murder, and as of November 7, 2006 was being held without bail for her murder.

No comments: