04 August 2007

Anniversary Love and Memories

First, today is my 6-year anniversary with George... happily unmarried still, but a girl can still dream... xoxoxo
Second, I'm posting a piece I just wrote for my writing class, the subject this week is meals and this is a memory from a dinner party in Madrid:
Back in September of 2002 we visited Madrid, Spain. George was invited to the Reina Sofia Museum to give a presentation and workshop on Cin-E-Poetry. We had a very kind host, Giorgio, who was instrumental in our invitation to Madrid, as he was working on his thesis about poetry and media. He showed us around the city, shared a few meals with us in restaurants, and helped George with preparations for his presentation. Giorgio invited us to have dinner with him and his girlfriend Beatriz (an acclaimed poet, who worked as a literary critic, and has a PhD) at their home one evening.

I remember their street in a back alley was filled with a young crowd and loud music. We arrived at 9:30pm, as dinnertime is much later in Spain. Once buzzed inside, we climbed a stairwell and entered their quiet flat. It was small, warm, and inviting with green plants and lots of books. We took off our coats and had a seat on the couch, enjoying a glass of wine with conversation.

We made our way to the dining table and our first course was a seafood appetizer. I was surprised when I saw the shrimp still had a face! I did not do well with this, though everyone else was able to remove the head and all. I don’t think I’ve eaten shrimp since that time come to think of it. Next we were served sliced pork that was from a region in Spain renowned for its succulence, accompanied by salad and bread. I was so delighted by Giorgio’s salad! I love salad and consider it one of my specialties as well. It consisted of lettuce, carrots, purple onion, celery, cucumber, tomatoes, corn, and olive oil dressing. He uses good Spanish olive oil, and recommended some brands to us.

After dinner they prepared samples of dessert wines in aperitif glasses. I especially liked the sherry. George said, “It taste like liquid candy.” We were later entertained with some original poetry composed and read by Beatriz herself.

They were very kind and generous to us. They are both intellectual and talented. I was inspired just being around them. That is what I love most about travel, the exposure to different ways and paces of life. We were fortunate to have a personal glimpse into their life in Madrid.

I am always inspired by quality of lifestyles, such as their knowledge and appreciation of poetry, literature, art, and film. Giorgio and Beatriz are both involved in academic and creative work that suited them. Enjoying cooking good food, wine, and friends. This is what I keep with me from a short visit in someone else’s world.

No comments: