
Looking at Paris in this light, I am reminded that being somewhere new is a great way to stay fully in-the-present. I begin to search for landmarks and some street names that I will remember later. He and I navigate along the Left Bank and later to the Right Bank. Following signs to the Metro and deciphering maps we explore the City of Light. With senses heightened, I am living in the moment.
We walk through the Tuileries Garden and I admire the many beautiful statues. We stop for a meal and savor each bite of steak and frites. I taste my food and sip red wine. Intentionally slowing down is a helpful way to be present. With conscious effort, I guard my mind from: Did I unplug the coffeepot? Is the alarm clock turned off? When I get back I need to make an appointment with…. Dear Sylvia, we are having a wonderful time in Paris… Yes, I can even begin to compose postcards.
At home with familiar routines, I find myself on autopilot more often than I care to admit. I take the same path, thoughtless about where I’m going. Thinking about what needs to be done and daydreaming about what I wish I were doing, the days begin to blend together and weeks slip by unnoticed. There’s nothing like travel to shake away complacency.
As I try to relish in each moment, I begin to wonder how to take this awareness home with me. While visiting the Pere Lachaise Cemetery, the message becomes clear. All these beautiful resting places adorned with flowers, become a sober reminder that life is fleeting. When we get back to our hotel he tells me, “Let’s change our reservations and extend the trip, and hopefully we still have jobs when we return.”


No comments:
Post a Comment