I started reading “It’s All Too Much: An Easy Plan for Living a Richer Life with Less Stuff” by Peter Walsh, from TLC's Clean Sweep (which I’ve heard of but never seen, we don’t have cable.) He has an optimistic approach to clutter. He asks you, “How do you imagine your life?” and some other good questions. Clutter is not only physical; it affects us on an emotional/mental level too.
So I made my rounds through our little apartment and managed to purge even more. I copied the remainder of my CD’s to the computer & ipod (w/G’s help) therefore; eliminating the last CD rack which opened up some space under the table where it sat for a couple years. I instantly felt the ‘breathing space’ once it was gone. Did some sorting and organizing, even tossed some old art & calligraphy supplies I haven’t used in years, along with some books and magazines which are a bit more challenging because I LOVE books. Every time I get a new one(s), I try to discard the same amount or more, in fact that is one of his principles for various items with limited space.
When I looked in my closet yet again, I asked the question and went right to a black suit I’ve been holding onto which was only used for job interviews years ago. Turns out, I don’t see myself wearing a suit and it went in the donation bag. It’s interesting to imagine how you see your life and what you how you want to use the rooms in your home. I want more travels and experiences, and I want our home to be cozy, colorful and supportive of both our dreams and goals, which I’d say it pretty much is.
It’s an ongoing process but I feel like I’m finally getting closer to having less extraneous stuff, and more things that are useful and have a purpose.
So I made my rounds through our little apartment and managed to purge even more. I copied the remainder of my CD’s to the computer & ipod (w/G’s help) therefore; eliminating the last CD rack which opened up some space under the table where it sat for a couple years. I instantly felt the ‘breathing space’ once it was gone. Did some sorting and organizing, even tossed some old art & calligraphy supplies I haven’t used in years, along with some books and magazines which are a bit more challenging because I LOVE books. Every time I get a new one(s), I try to discard the same amount or more, in fact that is one of his principles for various items with limited space.
When I looked in my closet yet again, I asked the question and went right to a black suit I’ve been holding onto which was only used for job interviews years ago. Turns out, I don’t see myself wearing a suit and it went in the donation bag. It’s interesting to imagine how you see your life and what you how you want to use the rooms in your home. I want more travels and experiences, and I want our home to be cozy, colorful and supportive of both our dreams and goals, which I’d say it pretty much is.
It’s an ongoing process but I feel like I’m finally getting closer to having less extraneous stuff, and more things that are useful and have a purpose.



No comments:
Post a Comment